[c-nsp] Router Options

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 28 15:08:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:36:40AM -0600, John Neiberger wrote:
> I need to terminate two DS3s and an ATM T1 (DSL), and I'd need a couple
> of Fast Ethernet interfaces. There is a Channel Interface Processor on
> the 7513 but it's going to go away eventually and I'm not thinking of
> using Channel Port Adapters.
>
> With those connections, would a 7204VXR still be the best choice or
> should I take a look at some of Cisco's newer routers, like perhaps the
> 3800 series?

Any 7200 will handle this without any sweat, and is a well-established and
rock solid platform.

The 3800 will also handle the load perfectly well, but IOS support is
still new, and I've seem some people report crashes with 12.3T on 3800
here on this list... but that might be an exception, other people really
like the 2800/3800 platforms.  I haven't been able to gather own experience
yet.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de