[c-nsp] Private VLAN questions.

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu Aug 4 13:42:31 EDT 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Saku Ytti wrote:

> On (2005-08-04 13:04 -0400), Matthew Crocker wrote:
>

>> How do I configure the Cisco 12000 to respond to those ARP request
>> and send the MAC address for school B to school A when it asks?
>> Can I put an ACL on the configuration so it will only ARP for certain
>> IPs?
>>

>  I think you need 'ip local-proxy-arp' which I believe is not
> available
> in 12.0S.

Thanks,

  It looks like ip local-proxy-arp will response with the routers MAC
address and not the Schools.  I would want Router A to send School Cs
MAC address to School B when it ARPS for it.  That way when School B
sends Ethernet frames with School Cs MAC address on the wire the
DSLAM will switch it directly down to the School C circuit.  Looks
like with ip local-proxy-arp enabled all traffic will still pass
through the GigE interface on the router.  I suppose I could just
hard code MAC address in the schools firewalls but I was trying to
avoid doing that.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President