[c-nsp] Multilink PPP on cisco 3725

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Aug 6 05:24:43 EDT 2005

Go for it.  I frankly think that all the advice out there about
how MPPP is so much more cpu intensive and how you should avoid it
in favor of ip cef balancing is a pile of poop.  With modern routers
the argument is over a few percent of efficiency either way.

When we tried bringing up our last dual-T1 to a customer I first
tried it out with per packet load sharing instead of mppp and
instead of a decent connection the customer was happy with, I
merely ended up creating a link slower than a single T1 and
another bug report that Cisco had to come out with a fix for.
I was frankly sick and tired of beta testing for Cisco and so
threw that config in the trash and went back to MPPP and have
had no problems since.

Cisco's engineers never saw a decently working feature that they
didn't feel they could "improve".  Quite obviously not a one of
them was ever raised by a mother who admonished them "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it"  When most people in the computer industry
are told that they have a reliable algorithim that is slow as
molasses, their instinct is to throw money into more CPU power.
Cisco's instinct is to throw out the bathwater and baby (sometimes)
and scratch the design and start over fresh.  I guess when your
200Mhz CPU cards are costing $10K at the same time that people are
buying Wintels with gig CPU's for $400, that's what you do.

Ted