[c-nsp] 802.1q VLANs > 1000 on Cat 5500

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Aug 9 20:25:03 EDT 2005

Rick Ernst wrote:
> Neither our equipment or the other AS can do VLAN translation. Any pointers
> for products that can be inserted in-line for VLAN translation? Need
> fiber-gigabit/GBIC capability.
>
> Thanks!

Probably not what you wanted, but I've used a Riverstone RS3000 to do
this (also useful as an RFC1483 bridging box if you like protocol
translation without redundancy ;-)... I believe you can do this with
various Extreme switches, too.  You can probably pick an RS3k up pretty
cheaply, and they are damn reliable for this type of job.  Can handle
2xGigE IIRC (might be fixed-transceiver type if you're using a slot
module, GBIC slot on-board).

In any event, it beats 24 tie cables and another c35{5,6}0, and
management/CLI is easy (enough) to get used to.

-andrew