[c-nsp] PPPoe Access Concetrators

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Thu Aug 11 11:08:14 EDT 2005

The problem for us is that the PPPoE is actually done by the third party
incumbent carrier (monopoly) and switched to us via domain-name over an L2TP
tunnel, where we build a PPP session with them, who then switch it to the
end customer.   So the issue for us is traffic shaping the customer.  Using
radius we can pass the rate-limiting attributes to the virtual interface(s)
on our 7206VXR NPE-400, but on a router already running at 60% load, I'm
wondering what shaping an additional 14-1500 customers will do!  Currently
we use a third party shaping device to accomplish this.

We have been testing a third party PPP server that will do both shaping and
act as the PPP server, but that product is looking to be unworkable for us
at this point.  One option is an NPE-1G, though it's a bit more expensive
than the other option we were looking at, and to some in the office it seems
a bit scarier than what we are currently doing.

Thanks,

Tim