[c-nsp] ISP redundancy - internal routing question

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Mon Aug 15 13:12:53 EDT 2005

Arturo, are you saying that in the scenario that Skeeve Stevens
painted you push any VLANs down to the L3 switches?

And so if you want HSRP in this scenario then you
also push the HSRP down to the L3 switches?

If so, as a benefit, the border routers would not be cluttered with
(many) sub-interfaces, vlans, hsrp... is that right?

But if that's the case then wouldn't the L3 switches also have ARP
entries (not just MAC entries) corresponding to the multitude of hosts
on the LAN?

I've got a scenario where we have 20,000 ARP entries,
but only about 700 unique MAC entries.   Our dual 7206/npe-g1
don't seem to have any problems with 20,000 ARP entries,
even in the presence of port scans.

What model of L3 switch would we need to have the same comfort level
with 20,000 ARP entries?

This question is biased by my limited L3 switch experience,
which is with a "cisco WS-C3550-24 (PowerPC) processor"
that seems to be relatively easily overloaded cpu-wise.

Thanks,
-mark