[c-nsp] IOS on 1811/1841

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Mon Aug 15 18:23:38 EDT 2005

Adam Greene wrote:

> We're probably going to recommend an 1811 to our customer. They'll
 > have (2) FE uplinks to us -- one supporting 4Mbps and another
 > supporting 1Mbps. The optimal configuration for this customer would be
 > to run eBGP with us (we would send them default routes only). We had
 > been planning to make the 1Mbps a backup link only, but it looks like
 > OER might enable us to load balance across the diverse links.

> The customer is planning to terminate a number of Internet VPN
 > connections on this router as well as use it as their Internet-edge
 > NAT firewall.

You should test *Your* deployment in the lab, as You're asking for
quite a mix of services and 5Mbit/s of traffic. Also bear in mind,
that fixed-configuration 1800 support only built-in VPN accelerator.

> I'm wondering if this is just too much to ask of an 1800-series
 > router. It's definitely in the price-range for the customer.

Yeah, but remember that official story for 1800-series is
`up to one T1/E1 with full services'. And apparently You're trying to
get 250% of this. Think for a moment about 2801/2811.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net