[c-nsp] Is this throughput on ATM DS3 in 3640 normal?

james edwards hackerwacker at cybermesa.com
Tue Aug 30 15:16:18 EDT 2005

> Should they then have 34 in each direction or is it ok to
> have 34 in one and 27 in the other?

You should be seeing about 34 in both directions, sorry I cannot account for
the 27.
Is this CBR, VBR-xx or UBR ?

> > Which framing are you
> > using ? C bit has quite a bit of overhead (to make DS2's) that you
cannot
> > use on an ATM DS3 so you can squeeze a bit more out of an ATM DS3 with
> > Direct Mapping/ADM framing.
>
> Current framing is DS3 C-bit direct mapping.
> Should I change it, and to what?
> (config-if)#atm framing ?
>    cbitadm   DS3 Framing C-bit ADM
>    cbitplcp  DS3 Framing C-bit PLCP
>    m23adm    DS3 Framing M23 ADM
>    m23plcp   DS3 Framing M23 PLCP

I use cbitadm. As to if you should change this, keep in mind the provider
of the DS3 will need to change framing along with both your endpoints.
This needs to be co-originated to minimize down time, ie the DS3 will go
down
as the framing is changed.

> DS3 Scrambling is off if that is of relevance.

I use scramblining; it is possible that data transfers (like ftp'ing a large
binary)
could cause long strings of  0's & scrambling will avoid this. Endpoints
must both be set
to scrambling.

> Another question: Should one of the routers have clock source internal
> on the ATM interface?

Who is providing clocking...you or the provider ? If the provider provides
clocking
then both sides are clock source line/network. If not, then one side is
clock source line/network
and the other clock source internal.

james