[c-nsp] Acct-Session-Id-Count problem

Sebastian piestaga at aster.pl
Wed Aug 31 09:51:56 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have got the problem with the accounting sessions of the dialup
(backup) connections that I have to present to the customers.
Everything works fine until the reset occures.
Then all accounting counters are cleared and my customers are
presented with incorrect data.

I was looking for any 'indicator' that would either be independend on
router reset or be as clever as could tell me that such rest took
place.
I have found the following doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080455a49.html

where Cisco claims that they had implemented an Acct-Session-Id-Count that could solve my
problem.
Unfortunately, according to my tests, the counter is incremented only when
the 'reload' command is entered manualy and only if the
'write memory' command was entered before the 'reload', I mean:

1. When I simply reload the router, after reload the couter stays the
same (no incrementation)
2. When the router is just powered-off, the couter stays the
same (no incrementation)
3. When the configuration is saved and the router is manualy reload,
then the counter is incremented by 1.

In such case it does not make sense, because I can protect my service
in case the router was reset due to power or other problems.

Could you please tell me if you expirienced such a problem or have any
idea how to cope with that ?