[c-nsp] 7206vxr reloading with software forced crash?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Aug 31 14:42:06 EDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Francisco Rivas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a serious problem with one of my 7206vxr. It's reloading itself
> several times, with a "Software forced crash". I've seen this behavior
> before, and it won't happen too often, but this router in particular is
> reloading at least twice a day. It doesn't have too much traffic (just
> 30-40Mb), and the CPU load is < 50%.
>  But, the main worry that I have about this, is that I've replaced the
> chassis ENTIRELY, and the new chassis is giving me the same error. Look:

I would look towards software rather than hardware seeing as the dump shows
a software forced crash.  And without a lot more information it is difficult
for us to guess as to what is causing it.  It could be related to any number
of things.  What does the Bug toolkit tell you?  Output Interpreter of the
crash dump?  Two of the three images you listed are no longer available
for download, the latest S-train in 12.2 is 12.2.25S5.  Have you looked at
the deferral notices for 12.2?

> Anyone can give me a hand on this??

Do you include Cisco TAC in "Anyone" above?  That would be agood place to
start.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/