[c-nsp] BCP for save B/W when transit links are full

Arturo Servin aservin at remoteconfig.net
Wed Aug 31 16:50:37 EDT 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>"sharing" music files and porno is illegal by federal standards, and
>also just about everywhere (I think maybe only 2-3 countries in the world
>haven't signed off on the Berne convention)  Porno shots invariarbly
>are copyrighted material so even the legal porno is illegal to "share"
>Of course amateur porn is legal and unencumbered by copyrights - but
>there is very little amateur porn worth looking at on the Internet,
>anyone doing it who has any kind of body at all is charging money for
>it, and thus they don't allow redistribution.  I don't know if it's
>embarassment or whatever, but we have never had any kind of pushback
>from a user we've caught distributing porno and threatened to shut
>down if they didn't abide by copyright and knock it off.

    Are you sure they are breaking the rule? I think that at least with
NBAR you just know that it is gnutella or kazaa, but you do not if the
file is copyrihted or not.

>>I am more interested with the technical part of doing this, but, are
>>you supposed to just give them the connectivity and they do anything
>>with it as long as it doesnt break their contract, or are you
>>authorized to rate limit anything on their traffic that u dont see as
>>(important/legal) ?

    Yes you do. You are providing Intenret access, not just some access
that you think is "good". If they break some rules, the RIAA will deal
with them. Just be sure to have your users logs.

    Yes do not do it. If they are using the complete 1 Mbps that you are
rented to them you should buy more bandwidth to Internet.

-as