[c-nsp] Negotiation problem with Catalyst 2950 and Cisco 2821

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Dec 3 00:23:49 EST 2005

Hi All,

  I hae a stock 2821 router with 2 gig E ports on the inside,
and 2 load-balanced t1's going to the Internet, running NAT.
IOS version is 12.4.5

  I have several 2950's don't know what version of firmware
(probably old).

  I plug the 2821 into the 2950s and set the 2821 and 2950 to
autonegotiate speed and duplex.

  The 2821 negotiates to 10 base T half duplex.  Users
report problems with intermittent disconnects and slowness
when surfing the web, etc.

  I go to Goodwill, no less, and purchase a 10 year old 8
port dumb hub, 10BaseT only.  Not a switch.  Cost is $7.99

  I insert this hub between the 2821 and the Catalyst 2950.

  Problems of disconnects and slowness go away.

 Speculation, anyone?

Ted