[c-nsp] boot images for 72xx to fix in 4M flash

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Dec 12 13:29:12 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:23:59AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I would guess then that 12.0.23 S6 is deferred as well.

They were deferred but without going in to the details
I was able to get them posted back. I'll have to leave it
at that.

> The question is, is there any fixes and updates that went into
> 12.0.24 S6 from 12.0.23 S6 that would be useful for a boot image
> to have?

None that I'm aware of. If you have the code you can run it.

> Of course you do realize all of this is academic because
> once the 7206 has fully booted it is not running on the boot
> image, it is running on whatever image it loaded from flash
> or tftp.

Yes. It's all about PA support for connectivity if your flash
device fails and you need to load a new image remotely.

> The big problem I think is support for the various ethernet
> and serial devices in the 7206.  The boot image should be
> rather stripped of everything other than device support, as
> the intent must be for the router to use it only for booting
> an image via tftp or off a flash card or other file system.

We are going to try our best to get the image size down if
possible via:

CSCsc63112
Externally found moderate defect: Assigned (A)
7200 boot images exceed 4M bootflash due to image size growth

*without* removing old device driver support but it may be
impossible but at least they are going to try.

> Netflow is probably completely useless either way for this.

It had nothing to do with this for the boot images it was
done for consistency which is the only reason I was able
to get those two posted back for now until and if we can
get it really resolved via: CSCsc63112

Rodney