[c-nsp] purposefully mismatching native vlans

Mark Brochu mbrochu at hartford.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:17:25 EST 2005

Greetings and happy holidays all :)

I'm working on migrating a large network (~5000 nodes) from flat class B
to subnetted.  The decision was made to initially break the network up
into 4 /18 subnets, one of them being our residential network.

With intervlan routing, we were prepared to deal with changing the
native vlan membership of all our access ports from vlan 1 to the vlan
id of the main subnet where the port is located.

Since this involves a large number of ports, we were going to use
perl/expect to script it across our resnet switches ( approx 250 cat
2950's ).

Architectually I dislike this approach.  I looked into ways to translate
vlan 1 to the required vlan (1841) on our 6500 sup2.  Vlan translation
looked interesting, but there are several caveats which limit it's
usefulness.  I haven't had much luck searching for inline vlan
translation devices either.  One thing that seems to be working is
simply switching the native vlan on our core router to translate the
untagged traffic to the correct vlan.

The two main errors that happen are

1. Spanning Tree disables the vlan due to native vlan bpdu mismatch (as
it should)

2. Lot's of CDP spam involving native vlan mismatch when testing between
two cisco switches.

I feel that disabling spanning tree on that vlan is justifiable.  I can
also prevent the log spam by disabling cdp v2 on the other ends.  I'm
wondering if there are any other possible caveats I may run into.
Looking forward to your input!

Mark Brochu
Network Analyst
University of Hartford