[c-nsp] Sup32 Features and Limitations

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Thu Dec 22 09:16:23 EST 2005

> Is it correct, that Sup32 is feature- and limitation-wise
> comparable to Sup720-3B with regard to max. v4/v6 FIB entries,
> MPLS support, max. VRFs / router per VRF, NetFlow entries and
> all that stuff that consumes TCAM?

Yes, both have a PFC3B.

> Are there any other maybe "not so obvious" limitations/
> differences between Sup720-3B and Sup32 (well, the missing
> fabric on Sup32 is obvious :-).

Sup32 is MSFC2A, not MSFC3, so less power for stuff that isn't forwarded in
hardware.

Sup32 doesn't support the newer, higher-density, lower port-
price LAN blades (67xx), as they require the fabric connections.
There's also no support for DFCs, OSMs, SIP600 and a lot of the
service modules. Some of that is likely because it simply hasn't
been tested yet. Check the release notes carefully.

Sup32 has better queueing and buffering on the supervisor ports.

Sup32 has more onboard flash.

Sup32 requires a $10k license to actually be of any use. (The
default $0 image has only basic L3, i.e. no OSPF, ISIS etc).

Sup32 doesn't do IOS SLB and NetFlow 9.

I believe I heard it doesn't do multicast replication in
hardware, though I don't know why that might be, as it's a
still a PFC3B.

Sup32 requires very new software (SXF, which is latest and
greatest)...

-A