[c-nsp] Network split in several VLANs

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Feb 4 09:50:30 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Xavier wrote:

> What the best way to achieve this? The VLANs will be managed by two
> Catalysts 4506.
>
> Keep 10.50.0.0/16 as a "default" VLAN and move hosts into new ones?
> (So we need to assign IP to servers, ...) and use new 10.60, 10.70, ...
> Try to not change IP's and split the existing subnet?

It's usually much cleaner to create new networks and VLANs in parallel
with the old ones and then move the old devices to the new IPs and VLANs
over time.

Splitting existing subnets can cause all kinds of odd communication
prolems between the machines, resulting from things like inconsistent
netmasks or possibly double-assigned IP address ranges.  It doesn't save
you any work compared to starting fresh, in fact it would likely be more
work because of the additional troubleshooting needed, on top of changing
the network configurations on the machines.

jms