[c-nsp] VLSM

Mon Jan 10 18:19:23 EST 2005

Maybe i wasnt clear about what VLSM is or does.

It's my understanding that you usually take a /24 and carve it up into a
number of equal subnets. (ex: /24 cut into 8 /27's).  I was asking on efnet
in #ciscohelp if it was possible to carve a /24 up into multiple CIDR's (ex:
/29's /28's /27's etc).  They said yes and pointed me to VLSM but they did
not recommend that i do this.

So my question is, if it is possble and proper can i carve a /24 up into
diffrent CIDR's or should i stick with carving it up into equal subnets.

~Shaun