[c-nsp] Network Analyser with n-way support

Ignas Bagdonas in-cisco-nsp at ib.sc.vu.lt
Thu Jan 13 16:28:38 EST 2005

> Currently debugging an issue with autonegociation (n-way) between 2
> network devices for which it appears that neither vendor can solve the
> issue directly. We are now trying to locate an analyser that will allow
> us to sniff the n-way negociation from both devices but without the
> ports on the analyser doing their own negociation with the end devices,
> so basically I'm looking for a "pass through" analyser.

One option could be Tektronix 6000, I recall seeing somewhere a module for
protocol intelligence, but that might not be the right solution, it is a
perfect tool for messing with PHYs, but too dumb for anything above. I
would suggest taking two ordinary ethernet interfaces for PC and tap their
RX pairs onto the line between your devices. I use Intel 545s in this way
for testing some devices under development, with analyser host running
Linux with slightly modified driver for reporting what is happening on the
line.

Ignas