[c-nsp] Re: Cisco 7513 & Bandwidth Points

Steven Bertsch sbertsch at iaxs.net
Fri Jan 14 16:55:02 EST 2005

At 02:23 PM 1/14/2005, Matthew Crocker wrote:
>On Jan 14, 2005, at 8:36 AM, Rodney Dunn wrote:
>>
>>Noel, Tom,
>>
>>There are limitations on the 75xx's depending on the
>>RSP/VIP setup you have.
>>
>>It's a distributed platform that does software
>>based forwarding when running in dCEF mode.
>>All packet are switched by the VIPs and never
>>touch the RP.  Therefore the switching capacity
>>is a function of the speed of the VIPs and the
>>features you have enabled in the packet path
>>(ACL's, QOS, etc..).
>Doesn't the RP handle the timing on the CyBus (1.2 gbps) and doesn't it
>touch the packet when it travels between VIPs on different CyBUSes (7513
>has 2)?  Bus arbitration is done on the RP ?? The 7500 doesn't have CSC
>card like the 12k series

My understanding is that, in a dCEF configuration, this is facilitated by
MEMD which is a memory buffer physically located on the RSP, but
that VIP use of MEMD is independent of the RSP CPU.

Regards,
Steven Bertsch, System Administrator    Infinity AccessNET
sbertsch at iaxs.net                       Voice 952/944-7123 x161
http://www.iaxs.net/                    Fax   952/944-0115