[c-nsp] 2811 router doesn't recognize T-1 WICs - solved (sort of)

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Jan 26 19:10:32 EST 2005

I posted earlier about a brand new 2811 router that wouldn't recognize
a WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 WIC in any slot.  Vendor shipped a replacement WIC with
the same symptoms.  Opened a TAC case, no results so far.  Vendor offered
to ship a replacement chassis, but I wasn't sure that would fix things.

I suggested that the vendor, before shipping a replacement, power one
up with a V2 WIC and see if it was recognized.  The vendor did so and
went through four more brand new V2 WICs before getting one that worked.
The working one was from a different shipment/lot than the bad ones.

That's one out of six good ones.  They shipped it, and it's happy.

But, I suspect some of the V2 WICs are shipping with incompatibilities,
or a whale of a lot of them are just plain NFG*.

* Non-Functional Gear.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/