[c-nsp] Comparison, 7500/7200 vlaned to 6500 or SUP with MSFC running IOS on 6500?

Dan Benson dbenson at swingpad.com
Thu Jan 27 11:16:14 EST 2005

I have a bunch of 7500/7200's running in the field connected to 6509's
with VLANs between them.  In these configurations, I am running OSPF,
BGP, and NAT.  I am thinking about buying new supervisors for the 6500's
and some VIP carriers to merge these two boxes.  My questions:
Processing power and memory on the SUP720's?  Is it enough to do what I
need in this configuration?  On the 75/7200's I have 256MB ram on the
NPE or RSP's, with the MAX of 128/256 on the VIPs for the 7500 series
routers.  I would like to have the ability to run 512MB or RAM on the
SUP's.   Will CEF work correctly with my current linecards?  Thanks for
the insight.. //db