[c-nsp] Cisco OSS Inspect EOL?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jan 28 06:26:42 EST 2005

wrong.  The only thing the OSS Inspection gives you is that if it is
inspected and you purchase a support contract for it, it's covered
under hardware support.

If it's not inspected you can still purchase a service contract for
it - you only just get phone/web/internet/whatever support - you
just don't get parts replacement.

Frankly it was a dumb idea in the first place.  If your buying used
gear then at the prices it's going for in the secondary market you can
easily buy 2 of whatever item your buying and self-spare.

> - apparently a move
> to get us go
> for Cisco's refurbished or brand new equipment only.

There's been a number of stories in the trade press about situations
where large companies contemplating purchase of large numbers of
new Cisco gear got quotes from a used equipment reseller that were
significantly cheaper than new gear, suddenly to find themselves
recipients of much FUD, pressure and even threats from Cisco and
resellers associated with Cisco.

In my opinion the issue is one of fairness.  If I decide to equip
10 offices with used routers, and don't say diddly squat to Cisco
or a Cisco reseller about it until the day I call a reseller up
and order 10 Used Equipment Licenses, and 10 service contracts,
I feel this is ethical, and in keeping with the spirit of the
Used Equipment program.  And I cannot imagine Cisco acting
against this.

  However, there are people who don't know
shit about a 10 office network, go to a Cisco reseller, have
that reseller completely spec out and quote the sale, sometimes
even going so far as to have the reseller bring Cisco's people
in to consult, then once they have the documentation in hand then
turn around and hand it to a used equipment dealer to fill.

In my book the second behaviour is scum and I hope Cisco does
whatever possible including lying through it's teeth to scuttle
the sale from the used dealer.

Ted