[c-nsp] ATM Switch for DSL

Malik Naeem malik.naeem at dols.net.pk
Tue Jul 12 08:33:36 EDT 2005

Hi,

Just a piece of advice/suggestion is required.

We are using Cisco 7206VXR as BRAS for termination of almost 2000 PPPoE
sessions. All DSLAM are directly connected to this BRAS using E1/IMA1
links and 1 is connected via DS3 (back-to-back).

ATM switch is not required in order to offer different solution the
customers primarily for the L2 VPNs. The possible options we are
evaluating are:

1. PSAX 2300
2. Light Stream 1010
3. ASC 4000

Switch is required to have multiple E1s (upto 100), upto 5 E3s, 1 STM1
and 1 DS3 (backup).

Optional: 1 FE/GE for PPPoE termination directly on the switch (perhaps
only PSAX offer this capability)

Any suggestion on the above? Which one could make the most appropriate
combination with Cisco 7206VXR (NPE400 and NPE-1G) keeping in view the
performance and least compatibility issues.

Regards.

Naeem-ud-Din
Operations Engineer
Dancom OnLine Services