[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 Vs Cisco 6500

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jul 13 04:44:56 EDT 2005

> And the 6500, as someone stated, will run CatOS which will not as far
> as I know, support the 7600 WAN cards.

Wrong. At my previous employer we bought a number of 6509 boxes with
the NEBS chassis. Several of these were later converted to 7600 by
the addition of a 4 port GE-WAN card (ie. one OSM). So our conclusion
*at the time* was that a 7600 was a 6500 with Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 and at
least one OSM.

Sup720 changes the picture, obviously. But as far as I can see the
difference between 6500 and 7600 is still mostly marketing.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no