[c-nsp] 7206VXR (NPE300) Images

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Jul 20 00:26:11 EDT 2005

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 02:50:07PM -0500, Pete Templin wrote:
>
>>>Since these questions appear here fairly often, I wonder who is
>>>actually responsible for these "upgrades" 12.2T->12.2 - is it TAC, that
>>>recommends this to you?  Is this your Cisco reseller?
>>
>>Isn't 12.2T actually 12.3(-X), as in pre-12.3 code, taken from 12.2
>>mainline and prepared for release as 12.3?  That would explain why
>>features disappeared, etc.
>

> That's about how things work - which is why the word 'upgrades' above
> was quoted.
>

> gert

T stands for Trunk (cco says "technology"...sure). That is the way I
have always seen it. Everything else, including "mainline" are merely
branches.

Some branches get bug fixes only. Some branches get bug fixes and new
sw/hw features.

Usualy specialty features migrate back to the trunk. Often trunk
features are backported to branches.

The confusion arises because some of these branches featurwise are quite
older than their brothers who are similary numbered, but not lettered.

Personally I like the system and hope it doesnt change (much) in
response to "confusion of the uneducated masses"

Joe