[c-nsp] 7609 EoMPLS questions

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Tue Jul 26 11:18:58 EDT 2005

At 05:30 PM 7/25/2005 +0100, Matt Ryan wrote:
>We have a (number of) 7609s in our network that we want to terminate
>ethernet pseudo-wire services on. They have WS-SUP720-3BXL in them with
>WS-X6704-10GE uplinks into our MPLS core network. We have downstream metro
>ethernet aggregation switches that require an optical connection to the
>7609. The majority of our boxes only have optical interfaces on an OSM
>(OSM-2+4GE-WAN+) it looks like this complicates matters as it doesn't
>support the SUP-720 performing the EoMPLS function (ie/ there is no xconnect
>command - at least not in 12.2(17d)SXB6 anyway). Looks like configuring a
>SVI with the xconnect it works but only if the OSM is the uplink (not the
>10GE).

True today, may change in a future software release.

>It also appears Cisco recommend not using the OSM style EoMPLS
>configuration along side the layer 3 style configuration (we have other
>pseudo-wires configured on LAN ports using the layer 3 style configuration).

This recommendation is made because if you have other than
PXF/FlexWAN interfaces as the uplink then the EoMPLS circuit on the
SVI. It saves beating your head against a wall wondering why the
circuit will not come up.

>While I guess I could use the 2 LAN ports on the card and have the SUP-720
>perform the encapsulation/decapsulation it would have been nice to get all
>the fancy queuing on the OSM as well.
>
>Is the above correct or have I missed something?

Are you wanting the use the GE-WAN interface as the customer facing
interface, and perform queuing etc on the traffic going out or in a
sun-interface?

Ian