[c-nsp] Cisco 7206VXR as ATM switch

Bob Tinkelman bob at tink.com
Wed Jun 1 14:09:53 EDT 2005

> Well, with frame-relay, you can just do dlci-switching.

> Thats a feature that has been around for as long as I can remember --
> perhaps 7 or 8 years.

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080087d01.html#wp1002491

> frame-relay switching

> int s0/0
>   frame-relay intf-type [dce | dte | nni]
>   frame-relay route in-dlci interface out-interface-type out-interface-number out-dlci

Right.  I actually remember when that enhancement was added,
though not specifically what release it was.

I probably should have used dlci-switching on the router that's
currently bridging two F/R PVCs.  I'm not sure why I didn't.  It
was a very long time ago.  Maybe I wanted to keep the config
similar to the other router that was doing FR-to-Ethernet bridging
on the other end of the PVC.

It may not have been clear that (in my example) I had a PVC between
two routers, with one router bridging the PVC to Ethernet and the
other router bridging the PVC to a PVC on another f/r circuit.

So, I guess my choices are:

    o	Leave things as they are:
	F/R protocol on all circuits
	bridging between PVC and Ethernet on Router A
	bridging between PVCs on Router B

    o	Leave everything as-is, except
	replace: bridging between PVCs on Router B
	with:    dlci-switching between PVCs on Router B

    o	Change everything:
	ATM protocol on the inter-switch T3
	level 2 switching between ATM PVCs on Router A
	level 2 switching ATM-to-Ethernet on Router B

Can you think of any obvious reason for one of these to be
better than the others?

- Bob