[c-nsp] GigE Edge router

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Jun 2 19:15:41 EDT 2005

--On May 31, 2005 1:00:37 PM -0400 joshua sahala <jejs+lists at sahala.org>
wrote:

> Paul,
>
> With those requirements, you're probably going to need to get an actual
> router.  You could look for a used m5 or m10 unless you are after
> something 'current', then try the cisco 7304w/NSE100, or Juniper m7i or
> m10i.  If you are handy with unix/linux, and it is all ethernet, you could
> build a pc-based router for a lot less money.

Painful, and not likely to keep up with the amount of traffic we're talking
about here.  Voice of experience.  For smaller installations, say 50mbit
and less, PC hardware can be an option.  You'd have to be VERY careful
about hardware choices for anything over 50mbit honestly.

Just my experience here.  Others may have had other/better results.