[c-nsp] dead npe?

Dan Benson dbenson at swingpad.com
Wed Jun 8 04:22:50 EDT 2005

Sounds like bad Mem.  I have seen in the past that if the mem is say,
pc133 and not pc100, you will not get any response from the console of
the machine.  The mem has to go into the NPE a certian way on the 300
and 400's.

Refer to this doc on what RAM is fixed and what RAM is not:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801b33fb.html

It could be that the DIMMs have come unseated, or that the seller
swapped it before shipping the unit, (Not uncommon). They are basic
PC100, 168PIN 128MB DIMMS.  You could get them at Compusa or on ebay, or
as some may suggest, from Cisco.  I do not think this has anything to do
with your chassie and or cards at this point.  Check the seating of all
DIMMs and boot with just the NPE and the IOFE, have a machine connected
to the console port set to 9600, 8, N ,1 and look for a prompt..   RAM
or a dead NPE,   I have seen only 1 bad NPE  in 10 years.  Hope this
helps.. //db