[c-nsp] 6509 and ws-x6748 and power

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 01:38:37 EDT 2005

On 6/8/05, Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il> wrote:

> I can dig that, but when I order a 6500 with a 3000W power supply, I don't
> expect to get only 2770W:
>
> gp1#sho power
> system power redundancy mode = redundant
> system power redundancy operationally = non-redundant
> system power total =     2771.16 Watts (65.98 Amps @ 42V)

I was collecting samples to see if there was a fixed percentage
knocked off the nominal rating, but it was clear pretty quick that
there's no pattern (saw 12% on WS-CAC-1300W, 6% on WS-X4008, and -4%
on PWR-C45-1000AC).

I've seen it inconsistent w/ same platform and ios build -- never made
any luck w/ the TAC on a 4006 that 'available power' jumped to the
nominal (400W) rating if only one power supply is installed, rather
than the reduced amount (375W). With the usage estimate at 385W, it
meant "number of power supplies required" (under sh power) would be
either one or two depending on how many were installed. Cute.