[c-nsp] IP unnumbered question. Are isp's using this alot?

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 04:42:50 EDT 2005

--- Joseph Jackson <JJackson at nos.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

>             My company just got a new t1 line from a
> different isp than our
> main one for backup incase the primary fails.  When
> they gave me the ip
> address info I noticed that there wasn't anything
> listed for the wan side of
> the router.  When I called to ask about this they
> informed me that on their
> edge devices they do not give ip addresses and I
> must use the ip unnumbered
> command.  What I am getting at here is is this
> common for ISP's to do now?
> Is this a trend that has been gaining ground?  When
> I spoke to my boss about
> this he wasn't too happy.  The other circuits that
> we have for internet
> access all came with an ip to use for the wan
> interface. Even a circuit from
> the same company that we use for a whole other
> network has a wan ip address.
> Anyone else see this a lot?

This is the classic UUNet standard config for the past
10 years or so (note: I don't know which ISP you're
using, and don't work for UU): if a customer is
singly-homed, then pinging their Ethernet interface is
just as good as pinging a numbered serial.

If UU were to go to all numbered /30s, they'd probably
chew up several /16s immediately (they have a LOT of
unnumbered customers).  Personally, I'm glad they're
not doing that...

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: