[c-nsp] Cisco 1700 with DynDNS

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Mar 16 04:08:16 EST 2005

I don't get this - if the 1720 is acting as a translator between
a DSL line on the outside and a private network on the inside (which
I am assuming it is, in lieu of additional explanation by the OP)
then where exactly does the linksys plug in?  If you put it behind
the translator then it will push a private number to the dydns server
(which I presume is on the Internet) if you put it in front of the
translator then it's going to get a different IP addy than what
the 1720 gets, so the dydns server still gets the wrong addy.

I also vote for the 800 or soho9x instead of the 1720 - all the
dynamically numbered cable and DSL lines I ever heard of were
purely residential products.  Sounds like a case of a business
trying to cheat the ISP methinks - and Gideon if your client
is that cheap, if I were you I would be wondering if I would ever
get my own bills paid!

I learned a long time ago as a consultant it is counterproductive to
assist the customer to implement ultra cheap solutions - the solutions
break down then your stuck giving them free service for the next
year, till they get sick of the problems and hire someone else at 4
times the cost and go buy decent gear and do things right - then
go around badmouthing you about how terrible a consultant you were
since you couldn't keep their network going.

A static IP assignment from the ISP is the correct way to fix this
so-called "problem" and it isn't that expensive. (compared to what you
should be billing, at least)  And your customer probably is already
paying for it and is just looking to do it cheaper by getting rid of
it.

You need to head off the hairbrained schemes before they end up
your downfall.  Customers never tire of coming up with them.

Ted