[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 09:49:40 EST 2005

--- "Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)" <oboehmer at cisco.com>
wrote:
> It is supported on all low- to mid-end routers up to
> and including 7500,
> check the release notes and/or feature navigator for
> higher-end as well
> as hardware-based platforms

Do you have any idea how well it will work on
"ancient" hardware like the 2514 and 2621? Cos
currently the E1 (sorry for the earlier typo of T1),
which connects my warehouse to my head office is
terminated at these two equipment (2514 at warehouse &
2621 at head office).

> > Under MLPPP, will traffic be distributed amongst
> both
> > links (i.e. I can download at max of 4Mbps) or am
> > limited to the max of each link (i.e. I can
> download
> > at max of 2Mbps).
>
> A single session can use up to 4Mbps. MLPPP will
> distribute the packets
> over both links making sure to preserve the packet
> sequence.

That's cool. It beats running OSPF over multiple
links.

What's the lead time like to detect a link failure in
a MLPPP bundle?

> > How processor intensive is MLPPP?
>
> In halfway recent code it is CEF switched and
> 2x2Mbps should be a
> non-issue.. You can optimize by disabling
> fragmentation, but it should
> not be needed to do this.

Do you have any idea how scalable it can get for the
platform (2514 & 2621) metioned above? How many E1's
can I MLPPP before perform degrades? 3 x 2Mbps? 4 x
2Mbps?

Will using Cisco 1845 be a better choice for 3 or more
2Mbps MLPPP links? I am running just plain WAN
connectivity with no bells and whistles.

> > Are there any caveats to look out for?
>
> you want to make sure the delay over both links is
> somewhat equal.
> Otherwise MLPPP could run out of buffers trying to
> reassemble fragments
> or preserving the packet order.

Thanks,