[c-nsp] MTU issues with tunnel switching

Clayton Zekelman clayton at mnsi.net
Mon Mar 28 20:24:51 EST 2005

J.P. is referring to the model where Bell Canada uses a router (Juniper ERX-1400) to act as a PPPoE LAC, forwarding sessions that come in as PPPoE to wholesale customers over L2TP tunnels.

The additional per packet overhead is introduced in the L2TP tunnel - 40 bytes per packet.  The fact that the session is entering the Bell router as a PPPoE session has nothing to do with the overhead on the L2TP tunnel.

The real problem has nothing to do with PPPoE, but everything to do with doing L2TP over FastEthernet - where you have to fit the L2TP packet along with 40 bytes of overhead on a physical medium (FastE) that only allows packets with a MTU of 1500 bytes.