[c-nsp] 7204 performance

ted klugman tedklugman at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 10:59:49 EST 2005

I've got a question about the 7204 and performance.

We've got a global ATM WAN (US, Asia, UK) with 2Mb
PVC's on DS-3 circuits between each site. Latency
between east coast US and Asia has become a bit of a
problem.

An engineer suggested that the root of the problem is
that our 7204 routers (with NPE-400) is adding a large
amount of latency (on the order of 30-50ms), and that
the solution is to move our ATM connections to our
core networks with FlexWAN modules in our Cat6500's
(dumping the 7204's). I find it hard to believe that
the 7204 with NPE-400 cannot handle such a small
amount of ATM traffic -- traffic across the links is
very light and never goes above 50% of link capacity.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.