[c-nsp] IOS firewall on 7500 vip -- not supported??

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue May 3 10:57:24 EDT 2005

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> Joe,
>
> We don't recommend folks do IPSEC on a 75xx (you can configure
> it but it's no distributed and we don't test it).  That may
> be what they are referencing.

I dont recommend it either. Been there done that, seen nasty ATM cell
loss on PVC's carrying ipsec traffic to the box, didnt get any support.

Still cannot understand why a) ipsec is allowed b) ipsec is not
supported  c) even when it causes outages in "unrelated" functions.

> Or they may be talking about IP INSPECT. I'm not sure how much
> of that code is in the dCEF path or not but regardless the
> box shouldn't crash when it's enabled.

I am not quite certain either, but I suspect on this box I see little to
  none dCEF switching of CBAC'd traffic. However this issue is a bug.

CSCsa64848

> If anything it should
> (for this box at least) punt the packets to the RSP for handling.

Yep, CBAC/NBAR. And it does work. The question is what has happened now
that it is not "supported"? I have been getting support on this for
quite some time.

What would you do to support customers who did not want simple ACL
protection but real session tracking? (Everyone buying "Managed
Internet") VRF-Lite to pixen?

> I wish we could move the box to a fully distributed path and
> drop anything that has to be punted to make the switching
> vectors simpler. But that would be a big move and we'll never do
> it.

There are many things that to an outsider like me seem to be
"intentionaly" left out of the dCEF switching path. I am happy I have
them at all.

Perhaps that would be motivation for a seperate train. However, people
dont seem to appreciate te lack of supported features for the GSR (hence
the 7600 as an attempt to replace the 7500) and 7500 is kindof a legacy
platform now.

I can appreciate it would be a whole lot easier for cisco to support a
simpler switching path with less features. Thats what their competitors
do. But "less features" to the best of my recollection has never been a
Cisco selling point.

If more powerfull RSP were available, I wouldnt mind doing feature
processing there. The problem is that the RSP16 is almost the cost of a
NPE-G1 and not quite as powerfull.

> What is the case number?

Coming in seperately.

> Can you do "clear count" and get a couple snapshots of "sh int stat"
> for the interface you have ip inspect on and let's see if you
> are dCEF switching packets to/from that interface?

Basically all interfaces that have an egress ACL with an ending line of
deny ip any any have a corresponding ip inspect <name> in (its also
using reflexive acl for the protocols that cbac does not support.

I will take a look and see what I can find.

> Bottom line is I never recommend anyone run a feature on a 75xx
> that is not fully distributed and their box should have VIPs with
> the CPU power and memory to do those features in the distributed path.

Well I wouldnt recommend it to anyone either, except if they are
prepared to re-evaluate their capacity based on their RSP.