[c-nsp] Re-thinking (remembering) how a switch operates

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu May 5 03:02:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 06:35:06PM +0200, Andre Beck wrote:
> End stations of today usually have ARP cache timeouts of 120s to 300s.

At least Linux is doing IPv4 ARP timeouting these days similar to way
IPv6 NUD works - "if we see no traffic from this IP/MAC combination for
a while, we do some ARP probing.  Otherwise we assume that it's still
valid" - which is a good thing in large networks, avoiding unnecessary
ARPs...

gert
--
Gert Doering