[c-nsp] Recommendations for 10GBase-Capable switch

Robert Hayden rhayden at doit.wisc.edu
Mon May 9 10:35:44 EDT 2005

Why would I want a single switch that could aggregate N number of SFPs
to a single 10GE uplink?  Because I could deliver a 10GE connection to a
building and then fan out 1GE connections to the individual wiring
closets in it.

Yes yes, I could spend another 10 grand (list) on a -12S switch and add
it to the stack, but that uses up more rack space, more power, more
cooling, and more resources to manage.

A 3750 with 1x or 2x 10GE and 16 or more SFPs would be the perfect
platform for building aggregation.

Robert Hayden
University of Wisconsin