[c-nsp] Recommendations for 10GBase-Capable switch

Robert Hayden rhayden at doit.wisc.edu
Mon May 9 14:25:29 EDT 2005

The 3750 (non-Metro) is pretty darn cost effective (if you get
aggressive discounting), particularily if you also stack in other
switches to meet the needs in that location.  Our primary use for them
is we can standardize on one platform (IOS) and grow it at the same time
to meet the needs of each closet or building depending on their local needs.

We use 3750s almost exclusively now to aggregate closets (10/100 and
10/100 PoE) to 3750s in the basement (-12s models) and then uplink to
core 6513s and do the VLAN routing there.  In this space, with the 3750s
doing no layer 3, they are quite nice.

With new products coming on the market from other manufacturers that are
much-more aggressively priced, with similiar features and expandibility,
coupled with Cisco's limited vision on the product line (no 10GE w/ SFPs
for example, and no VPLS capability in the stack) we may need to start
looking at other options in the next year, however.

Robert Hayden
University of Wisconsin