[c-nsp] limit throughput on a 3750?

lists at hojmark.org lists at hojmark.org
Fri May 13 12:51:09 EDT 2005

> This specific customer has 30 machines or so now on 3 diffrent
> 2950G-EI-48's, those switches are trunked to the 3750.  The
> vlan lives on the 3750 (vtp server) and the 2950's are vtp
> clients.  The customer wants a 20mbit limit for all of his
> servers combine.  Meaning that if every server was pushing
> 1mbit, totaling 30mbit that they would be limited down to
> 20mbit.

> So... what your saying is that i need to apply this VLAN-based
> QOS to every port his server is attached to (on the 2950)?

No, actually I wrote that if all you wanted is to limit the
traffic from that customer, as it exits the 3750, you can do
that on the egress interface.

But otherwise yes if you want to do VLAN-based QoS, you need
to turn that on on all VLAN member ports.

> What about the ports that trunk to the 2950's?

Are they actually trunk ('switchport mode trunk') or are they
access ports?

If they're trunk, then I think VLAN-based QoS is out of the
question, and you're back to policing it on the egress interface.
But if I understand you're setup correctly, that all sounds like
a perfectly fine solution.

-A