[c-nsp] DS-3 -> OC-3 upgrade

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Tue May 17 03:13:31 EDT 2005

Justin,

streiner at cluebyfour.org (Justin M. Streiner) wrote:

[NPE-G1]
> I saw this router buckle under a ~50kpps ICMP flood on top of the normal
> traffic.  It dropped out of the IBGP mesh and lost all OSPF adjacencies.

I've also seen this in my first tests. After tuning the internal
scheduler, this did not happen again. You just have to make sure that
forwarding is not overprioritized in the CPU. Software switching is slow
in most cases, but you don't want it to stop altogether, so there's
the tradeoff you make: If CPU cycles are rare, forwarding will slow
a bit, but you still have correct FIBs. "scheduler allocate 60000 2000"
works well for us. YMMV, though.

Yours,
	Elmar.