[c-nsp] GigE Edge router

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 31 12:44:36 EDT 2005

> > We would like (if possible) something that is port-dense in the GigE
> > area.  Upgrading to a higher end Cisco or Juniper is likely to be
> > fairly expensive for both the chassis and multiport Gig cards.  We're
> > toying with the idea of something like a Cisco 4507R or 4510R; they
> > claim to be able to do layer3 OSPF and BGP, and they offer GigE cards
> > with a high number of ports.
>

> Maybe all you need are new NPE's in your existing 7200's.  Is the NPE-G1
> or NPE-G2 an option?  Worth looking at as it is probably the least cost
> path. (depending on how many Gig-E ports you need)

Depends on what kind of performance is desired, and what kind of
limitations you can live with.

NPE-G1 was $15000 list price last time I checked, while a 3560 EMI with
4 SFP ports and 24 10/100/1000T ports is $8800. The 3560 (and similarly
3550, 3750, 4500) give you *much* higher performance, *if* you can live
with the limitations. The limitations are significant, e.g.

- You're nowhere near being able to accept a full Internet routing
table.
- You can't do uRPF.
- Routing protocol support is often more limited than a regular router.
- Limited support for higher MTU.
- Sometimes significant limitations of the number of routed interfaces
you can have.

But again - if you can live with the limitations, you get a lot of
"bang for the buck".

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no