[c-nsp] Cisco ISR T3

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Thu Nov 3 05:41:07 EST 2005

> > Last question does anyone know what subrate T3 means
> > then?
>
> Some T3 (and E3) interfaces can be configured for less than the full
> bandwidth. This is not the same as a *channelized* T3/E3 interface.
> Look at the "dsu bandwidth" command

Or indeed, just providing a full T3 or E3 (in terms of transmission), but
not putting 45M / 34M of traffic through it.  This is easier if you own the
equipment at both ends of the link, of course.

I have some non-Cisco devices which support physical T3/E3 interfaces but
not line-rate traffic (at least a realistic packet sizes, additional
features and CPU load), but we are deploying them with L3 traffic-shaping to
a "supportable" bandwidth on the WAN.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876