[c-nsp] Non-default BGP hold / keepalive timers

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Nov 17 06:27:07 EST 2005

This is just a follow-up on an earlier thread.  When I first asked this
question nobody could provide me with any data on tested values etc.  I
thought I'd punt this to the list for the sake of general interest (and
the archives :) just so the next person might have a point of
reference.

To overcome the problem of silent failure of eBGP peers that are not
directly attached (eg via an ethernet switch) we are running much
reduced timers.  Default Cisco is 3 * 60 seconds.  Default Juniper is 3
* 30 seconds.  We are running 3 * 5 seconds without a single flap.  No
problems experienced in over a month with several different upstream
providers.

And, as Bruce Pinsky has said before, this is no substitute for BFD or
some other layer 2 fault detection mechanism.  But, hey, it may help
out of BFD et al aren't an available option.

David