[c-nsp] IOS reading my mind...

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Thu Nov 17 12:08:08 EST 2005

On two 7206, one running 12.2(18)S8 and one running 12.2(25)S5,
I appear to prematurely get the effect of a 'clear ip bg ... soft out'
when I make a change in the bgp config.

I just did this:

replaced:
   nei x.y.z.w filt 99 out
with:
   nei x.y.z.w filt 1 out

where 99 is deny .* and 1 is permit ^$ and I noticed that the port
started picking up traffic, and a query to an external route server
confirmed that I didn't need to do the clear.

Likewise, yesterday on the 12.2(18)S8 machine I changed a
route-map to prepend my AS and that change also was propagated
without the need for a soft clear.

I can't blame internal route instability for this because
a) I don't have any, and b) if I did then I'ld surely notice
as we would get dampened fairly rapidly.

Any idea what is going on?
(I'm willing to accept "You're crazy." as an explanation.)

Thanks,
-mark