[c-nsp] NPE-300 & 12.3

George Smith george.s at turkonline.net
Wed Nov 30 03:58:26 EST 2005

Hi,

I have a 7206VXR with NPE-300 which had been running 12.3(16). After
upgrading to 12.3(17) , I noticed the following lines from sh ver.

This Version of Cisco IOS Software is not supported on NPE300.
Please select a version of Cisco IOS software compatible with
this processor from http://www.cisco.com.

This warning is absent on 12.3(16). I searched Cisco website, and found
this :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_eol_notice0900aecd801bd0f7.html

>From this article, I understand that after 12.3(10b), maintenance
releases don't care about NPE-300. 12.3(16) had been fine for us on this
router, but it seems following maintenance releases is meaningless as
long as I continue using NPE-300. So, should I stop upgrading on
platforms using NPE-300 ? I had no problems with 12.3(16), but should I
downgrade to 12.3(10b) in case there may be a bug regarding NPE-300 but
not fixed on later releases ?