[c-nsp] Graphing traffic for specific BGP peer on exchange points

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Sun Oct 2 17:01:33 EDT 2005

Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Fri Sep 30, 2005 at 08:51:00PM +0200, Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
>>I'm wondering if there's chance to have traffic graphs for each (or
>>specific) peer (BGP peer) on exchange points. Problem is that on exchange
>>points you have only one ethernet interface connected to switch where you
>>have bunch of peering partners. Now I would like to graph all exchanged
>>traffic (incoming and outgoing) with peer #1, peer #2, etc.  Is there any
>>chance to do this in MRTG or do I need some other tool for that?
>
> You can do this using either MAC accounting (which I've done myself before,
> with mrtg), or using netflow (which I've seen done, and needs other tools
> if you want to interface it into mrtg).

Indeed - Google should show some example scripts that generate MRTG
config (instead of having cfgmaker build it).

Smarter code also needs to remember last-known macaddress/peer info in
case it is down when the script runs, plus it also needs to pull parent
ifIndex from subinterfaces if you use them (since mac-accounting is a
physical interface feature).  Also use cipMacHCSwitchedBytes instead of
cipMacSwitchedBytes for 64bit counters - remember to use SNMPv2.

This is quite useful since it can give you useful per-peer stats,
whilst netflow can concurrently give you src/dst ASN stats.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer
ian.dickinson at pipex.net