[c-nsp] VPN max throughput

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Oct 3 12:08:11 EDT 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Grant Moerschel wrote:

> According to Cisco marketing proganda a 7206vxr with a vam2 can do
> 260Mbps but you say ~15Mbps.  What am I missing here?  That's a big
> difference!

Cisco often produces the numbers they use in their marketing material
under best-case conditions.  I'm curious where they got 260 Mb/s from,
though.  You'd be lucky to see 260 Mb/s of raw IP packet forwarding out of
a 7206VXR with an NPE-G1, going downhill, with the wind at your back ;-)
Perhaps forwarding from one gig-e port on the G1 to another you could get
around 260 Mb/s, but if the packets have to touch the router's backplane,
forget it...

jms