[c-nsp] route maps and bgp

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Oct 4 07:54:39 EDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Alexander Koch wrote:

> Be careful! Whenever you have BGP customers change that
> please. A prefix-list is no good in that case, as when your
> customer is not sending you his network range you will send
> whatever is best in your routing table. Usually you then
> 'leak' that range from your transit (because it's best).

Given his config and his problem, several of us seem to have agreed
prefix-list was the simplest solution.

> BGP communities is the only sane thing to do here.

I eventually got tired of maintaining as-path access-lists on multiple
routers and moved to using community tagging to mark which routes should
be advertised.  It's a better setup, but a bit more complicated in initial
setup, and easier to screw up.