[c-nsp] 7200s and CEF (Was: No 12.4T for 7500s)

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Oct 4 11:06:59 EDT 2005

Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> Well, we use 7500's doe this purpose today (as well as 7200's with
> NPE-400's). Remember, the latency on the 7200's during BGP scanner is a
> 'to it' problem, not a 'through it' problem.

(Circling back to this topic)  Doesn't the NPE handle the switching
decision on every packet (NSE w/ PXF excluded)?  CEF may be optimized
for high switching rates amidst large routing tables, but isn't the
lookup still done on the general-purpose CPU, and therefore still
susceptible to sharing the CPU with other tasks?

pt